Just rambling thoughts about anything that happens to be on my mind and that usually isn't much!
This blog best viewed with IE4 or greater and tongue in cheek

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rain Slicker and Mud Boots ..... In August?

Is it really the middle of August?  Toto, am I really in Kansas?  And I am to believe that this cooler than normal weather is being caused by global warming. 
 
Folks, I'm tired.  I'm tired of idiots telling me that I'm slowly burning up when in fact I'm looking for a long sleeved shirt, IN AUGUST!  I'm tired of hearing how the bread basket of North America will lay barren due to drought when in fact our rivers overflow their rain filled banks, IN AUGUST.  I tend more to agree with the June 24, 1974 Time Magazine article that a global ice age is returning.  Or perhaps if you are a naysayer (or even worse, a believer in global warming) an even more recent article written in 2005.   Climate change is a natural occurrence and the effect humans has on it are local not global.
 
I'm tired of being forced to purchase ethanol in gasoline.  (talk to your local gas station and see if he is purchasing fuel with added alcohol)  Since I drive an average of 250 miles a day, I have a log of my fuel mileage ..... (alcohol reduces my mileage by at least 10%).  The only thing that ethanol improves is the intake of federal and state fuel taxes because you have to buy more gallons.
 
I'm tired of "political correctness".   I'm tired of listening to one woman saying she is "saving the planet" by not drilling.  I'm tired of politicians taking my liberties and spending my money and saying it is for my well being.   It is time to take the country back, not by revolt, but by the vote.  We have an election coming this November.  Make your vote count this year.   KNOW what your candidate's position is on the different policies ... and if they don't follow-up on it .... vote them back out.
 
This has been my rant for the day.
Dennis

6 comments:

crabby old man said...

AMEN BRO. WE NEED TO TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK FROM THE POLITICIANS. VOTE, VOTE, VOTE, & VOTE FOR WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY,& NOT FOR HANDOUTS THAT ARE GOOD FOR ME OR U AS INDIVIDUALS.

Jenni said...

The weather has been so nice for the past few days though! Very pleasant weather for August in Kansas. I was actually chilly this morning when I went down to feed the horses.

The amount of rain we've had is crazy though. The Walnut River has been full to the brim a good portion of the summer.

I agree with you about the uproar over climate change. It's a cyclical thing and I don't think anyone knows for sure how much we impact it one way or another. There is a lot of guessing going on. I didn't know ethanol decreased mileage! I do think we need to start looking for alternate fuels to use--fuels which are replaceable. Even if we drill all the places we could here, there is a limited supply of oil and you can't "grow" more. I believe we need to be good stewards of what God has given us, but some people go a little wacky with their pronouncements of global doom and gloom.

Jenni said...

I heard a story on NPR last week that deals a little with ethanol production but with a lot of other interconnected things as well. The ideas presented sounded good to me, but I don't know much about cattle, crop production, or ethanol. I'd like to know what you think of it.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93636627

Anonymous said...

To all the doom and gloom "global warming" crowd and the so-called "scientists" with their "research" - God has put ice cubes in my freezer so what do you have to say about that?

Anonymous said...

Would you play 50 rounds of russian roulette for $100 a time? Would you do it for $1,000? $10,000?

Unless you're a fool, which I don't suppose you are, you wouldn't. You get a little more money each time you "win", but the first time you lose, you lose everything. Only Darwin Award candidates aren't smart enough to figure that out.

That's the deal with climate change. If all those scientists are wrong, and we ignore them, we "win" our current lifestyles. If we don't ignore them, we "lose" those lifestyles and have to replace them.

Ah, but what if the scientists are right? If we believe them, we have to replace our current lifestyle but we get to stay in business as a species. If we choose to ignore them: bang. We lose everything.

Those stakes mean the oil companies and politicians are inviting us to play Russian roulette on a global scale.

The way climate change works is not that every day is hotter, but that every day there's more total energy in the global system, gradually creating changes in wind and rain patterns, oceanic acidity, sea level, availability of fresh water, etc. Changes that might right now create a cool August where you are, but that will soon make the US a place where the current varieties of wheat cannot grow because it will be too hot and wet/dry at the wrong time, where some rivers are not refreshed by snowmelt in the spring because there is no snow in the winter, and where bugs thrive year-round even in Maine and Minnesota the way they do now only in the South.

When you ignore the data, you're playing Russian roulette just because some guy tells you the gun isn't loaded.

The Ponderer said...

I stop at the Sinclair station in Skiatook (Mr Bass) as they are the only station in town to sell fuel with no ethanol. I don't want my gaskets to dry up!

We need to drill. We need to drill now, often and deep. And, in the meanwhile look for and explore other means of fueling power.

I think I may by a truck just to show my commitment to fossil fuels and American products. Uh...could you spare $20,000?