Just rambling thoughts about anything that happens to be on my mind and that usually isn't much!
This blog best viewed with IE4 or greater and tongue in cheek

Saturday, June 9, 2007

My favorite grandkid

As many of you know, my family is very rapidly expanding.  I now have 8 grandkids (7 under the age of 5 1/2) 4 boys and 4 girls.  Now that's bragging rights in ANYONE'S eyes and I keep pictures on my PDA so that I can brag to anyone that feels they can challenge my rights as the most blessed man alive.
 
The other day I ran into a "granddad" with his grandson riding shotgun in his feed pickup.  I of course had to brag on my newest arrivals.  He too had several but then went to bragging that this one was his favorite because he was someday going to take over the family ranch.   Then he asked me a very odd question, "Which one is your favorite?"
 
Well now I had to stop and think about that for a few seconds.  Then starting with grandson number one I proceeded through my digital photo album to granddaughter number 8 explaining why each was my favorite.  My reasons include such descriptive adjectives as smiles, cuddling, orneriness, twinkling eyes, maturity, personality, curiosity and the list goes on.
 
"Yeah" he said, "but one will win your heart."
 
As I drove away, I was sadden to think of "limited love".  That love could be metered out or that a heart only had so much love and once it was "used up" there was no more.
 
Later that day I ran into another "granddad".   Anytime you get two granddads together, there is always something to talk about, so we exchanged our mutual brags.  I then shared with him the story from my former meeting.
 
He too shook his head in disbelief and said, "I'm sure glad I have a heart like the jar of flour and jug of oil that the widow of Zarephath had.  But then you have to believe in the Lord for it to work." 
(1 Kings 17:14-16)
 
As I left that grandpa I had a much better feeling for the day and knew that, even though I am the most blessed man in the world, there are some that are close seconds.
 
Dennis

No comments: